4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109
JPL Fellow. Senior Research Scientist.
- B.S. in Physics, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan (1972)
- Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography, Joint Program in Oceanography,Massachusetts Institute of Technology-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (1980)
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (1981-Present)
- JPL Fellow (2009)
- Ocean Surface Topography Mission Project Scientist (2002-Present)
- Jason Project Scientist (1998-Present)
- Senior Research Scientist (1994-Present)
- Lead Scientist, Ocean Science Element (1994-2005)
- TOPEX/Poseidon Project Scientist (1988-2006)
- Group Supervisor, Physical Oceanography Group (1986-1994)
- Member of Technical Staff (1981-1986)
- Visiting Professor, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China (2002-2004)
- Postdoctoral Associate, Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1980)
Observation of sea level and ocean circulation using spaceborne techniques.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2019
- Distinguished Alumni Award, 2017, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Distinguished Achievement Award, 2017, Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists Association of Southern California (CESASC).
- COSPAR International Cooperation Medal (2010)
- Member, National Academy of Engineering (2008)
- Space Systems Team Award, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (2006)
- NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal (2004)
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union (2003)
- Fellow, American Meteorological Society (2003)
- Verner E. Suomi Award, American Meteorological Society (2002)
- NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (1996)
- Aviation Week and Space Technology Annual Laurel Award (1994)
- Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales Medal (1994)
From a total of 122 peer-reviewed publications:
- Archer, M., Z. Li, and L-L. Fu, 2020: Increasing the space-time resolution of mapped sea surface height from altimetry, J. Geophys. Res., DOI: 10.1029/2019JC015878
- Fu, L-L., T. Lee, W.T. Liu, and R. Kwok, 2019: Fifty years of satellite remote sensing of the ocean, in A Century of Progress in Atmospheric and Related Sciences: Celebrating the American Meteorological Society Centennial, Meteor. Monogr., No. 59, Chapter 5, Amer. Meteor. Soc., DOI: 10.1175/AMSMONOGRAPHS-D-18-0010.1
- Fu, L-L., 2016: On the decadal trend of global mean sea level and its implication on ocean heat content change, Front. Mar. Sci. 3:37. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2016.00037
- Fu, L-L., and R. Morrow, 2013: Remote sensing of the global ocean circulation, in Ocean Circulation and Climate, 2nd Ed. A 21st century perspective, pp. 83-111, Siedler, G., Griffies, S., Gould, J. and Church, J. (Eds.): Academic Press.
- Fu, L-L, and B.J. Haines, 2013: The challenges in long-term altimetry calibration for addressing the problem of global sea level change, 1284-1300, Adv. Space Res Volume 51, Issue 8,.
- Fu, L-L., and C. Ubelmann, 2014: On the transition from profile altimeter to swath altimeter for observing global ocean surface topography, J. Ocean. Atm. Tech Vol. 31, No. 2. 560-568.
- Fu, L-L., D.B. Chelton, P-Y. Le Traon, and R. Morrow, 2010: Eddy dynamics from satellite altimetry: progress and challenges, Oceanography, Vol. 23, No. 4, 14-25.
- Volkov, D., L-L. Fu, and T. Lee, 2010: Mechanisms of the meridional heat transport in the Southern Ocean, Ocean Dynamaics, Vol. 60, 791-801. DOI 10.1007/s10236-010-0288-0
- Volkov, D., and L-L. Fu, 2010: On the reasons for the existence and the variability of the Azores Current, Journal of Physical Oceanography, Vol. 40, 2197-2220. DOI: 10.1175/2010JPO4326.1
- Fu, L-L., 2010: Determining ocean circulation and sea level from satellite altimetry: progress and challenges, in "Oceans From Space", edited by V. Barale, J.F.R. Gower, and L. Alberotanza, 147-163, doi 10.1007/978-90-481-8681-5_9, Springer, New York, 374 pp.
- Fu, L-L., 2009: Pattern and velocity of propagation of the global ocean eddy variability, J. Geophys. Res., 114, C11017, doi:10.1029/2009JC005349.
- Fu, L-L., and R. Ferrari, 2008: Observing oceanic submesoscale processes from space, Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 89 (48), pp. 488.
- Willis, J.K., and L.-L. Fu, 2008: Combining altimeter and subsurface float data to estimate the time averaged circulation in the upper ocean, Journal of Geophysical Research., 113, C12017, doi:10.1029/2007JC004690.
- Volkov, D., and L-L. Fu, 2008: The role of vorticity fluxes in the dynamics of the Zapiola Anticyclone, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 113, C11015, doi:10.1029/2008JC004841.
- Fu, L-L. , 2007: Intraseasonal basin modes of the equatorial Indian Ocean observed from sea surface height, wind, and temperature data, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 37, 188-202.
- Fu, L.-L. , 2007: Interaction of mesoscale variability with large-scale waves in the Argentine Basin, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 37, 787-793.
- Fu, L.-L. , 2006: Pathways of eddies in the South Atlantic revealed from satellite altimeter observations, Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L14610, doi:10.1029/2006GL026245.
- Fu, L.-L. , 2004: Latitudinal and frequency characteristics of the westward propagation of large-scale oceanic variability, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 34, 1907-1921.
- Fu, L.-L. , and R. Rodriguez, 2004: High-resolution measurement of ocean surface topography by radar interferometry for oceanographic and geophysical applications, AGU Geophysical Monograph 150, IUGG Vol. 19: "State of the Planet: Frontiers and Challenges," R.S.J. Sparks and C.J. Hawkesworth, editors, 209-224.
- Fu, L.-L. , Wind-forced intraseasonal sea level variability of the extratropical Oceans, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 33, 436-449 (2003).
- Fu, L.-L. , and B. Qiu, Interannual variability of the North Pacific Ocean: the roles of boundary-driven and wind-driven baroclinic Rossby waves, Journal of Geophysical Research, 107(C12), 3220, doi:10.1029/2001JC001131 (2002).